Friday, September 5, 2014

What Made Guardians Good?

Now that most of the planet has seen this movie, I thought I would weigh in on what made this movie good, or even great. If you haven't seen the movie, this will not contain many spoilers. I will mainly talk about three items that I believe added to the movie experience.

I have seen it asked, "How does a 'B-list' comic become such a major motion picture?". I agree that many people had never even heard of the Guardians of the Galaxy before the studio announced they were making the movie. I have watched a lot of cartoons and read several comics and  I only knew a little bit about who they are. If no one knows who they are, how did the movie do so well? It is the power of Marvel. Marvel has proven themselves to movie goers since Iron Man. Not every movie is great, but every movie is well-made and has a story.

Three things I liked about Guardians of the Galaxy:

  1. The Team - I believe that this team is very likable and approachable. Every one of these characters has their flaws. They also have great strength, and even more strength as a team.
  2. The Fun - This movie brings back the joy of comic book movies. It does not take itself too serious and has only moments of inward contemplation and self-loathing. There is some stuff to do and we are going to get it done.
  3. The Music - The mix of songs from the 70's and 80's on Quill's Walkman was an amazing way to incorporate an awesome soundtrack into the movie. The very name (Awesome Mix Vol. 1) of the tape says it all.
If you have not seen Guardians yet, I would suggest catching it while it is still on the big screen. It is a great movie, with great characters, and a fun team to root for as they battle impossible odds.

No comments:

Post a Comment