Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Teacher: Educator or Jail Warden

Before you get mislead by my title, this is NOT about how bad kids are and how much trouble our schools are in. If that is your opinion, I am sure you can find a post about exactly that. This post is about teachers and how much they deserve our thanks.

Merriam-Webster defines a teacher as a person or thing that teaches something. This is such a simple definition for such a hard job. Teachers are so very important and so very under appreciated for what they do, not only in the classroom, but behind the scenes.

When I was young, I looked at my teachers as the people that kept me from getting to do those things that I really enjoyed. They were my guards, the ones who took away my fun by giving me homework and assignments. I was a kid and I thought my job was to have fun, but my teachers knew there had to be more to my development than just playing.

Even though at the time I would not admit it, I loved to learn. It started with a great set of parents who inspired me, but it continued with amazing teachers who challenged me. Some of my best teachers were also my hardest. The teachers who expected a lot from their students and every year seemed to get that out of them.

I want to say THANK YOU to all teachers for what they do. You are not jail wardens. You do not just keep us from the fun things we want to do. Teachers...you inspire the world and shape lives. You, along with parents, create our next leaders and world-changers. Do not lose heart! Teach because you do make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment