Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Star Wars VII: Will We Have to Say Goodbye?

Are We Going to Say Goodbye to a Classic Character?

First, let me say that the studio (as always) is doing a great job at keeping its secrets. I have found blogs and rumor sites but most of them are just guessing at what they think will happen. We know that J.J. Abrams is directing Episode VII and he wants to dedicate this film to a proper treatment of our heroes.

But... will one of them die?

My guess would have to be... yes.

In both Episode VI and I, we said goodbye to a major character. This helps to drive the development of heroes and moves the story arc forward. You feel the pain and see the struggle while Luke watches as Old Ben is struck down by Lord Vader. In Episode I, you can feel the sense of loss as Anakin does not get to train under Qui-gon Jinn. Death is an important part of the Star Wars stories.

So who will not make it to Episode VIII?

I believe of the three major characters the most likely candidate is Han Solo. Since the end of Episode V, Harrison Ford has been rumored to feel that Han Solo needs to sacrifice himself for the cause. My guess is that he will finally get his wish. Leia is another possibility. I think it would be more likely to lose both Han and Leia in this Episode before we would lose just Leia.

I believe the least likely to get killed in Episode VII is Luke Skywalker. Since both I and IV started with the death of a Jedi mentor, I believe Abrams will try to avoid this pattern. I believe that Mark Hamill has the most to give to the new trilogy. He can keep it consistent and believable. I think that the character of Luke creates the best bridge of the old and new cast.


No comments:

Post a Comment