Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Arrow and Flash

The first crossover event is behind us and I think it is fair to take a look at how it went. I want to answer two different questions. Did the crossover event introduce viewers to the other series if they are not watching it? Did the crossover event serve a greater purpose?

On the first question, I believe they did very well. The schedule was a challenge because their new show Flash comes Tuesday nights, a day before their established show Arrow on Wednesday nights. Many shows who attempt to use a crossover to prompt the new show have an older show and then newer show approach. I applaud the creators of Arrow and Flash for going newer and then older. If Arrow watchers did not catch the first part of the crossover on Flash it was done in such a way that both stories had a conclusion, so a viewer who had their interest peeked could go back and watch it without having much of it spoiled.

To answer my second question, I believe they hit a home run. The two characters have very different styles. One is a vigilante and one is becoming a hero. They see the world differently and that made for good character interaction. I believe both of these characters will have some subtle changes in their approaches that will be developed over the rest of this season.

I hope they plan on a few more crossover events, but I do not want the line between the shows to get too blurred. I trust that they will use it on occasion but hopefully leave us wanting more. These two shows are quickly ascending to become two of my top shows on TV today. What do you think? Did it work or not?


No comments:

Post a Comment